SAEDNEWS: Yemeni armed forces spokesperson reported Wednesday that 56 Saudi oil vessels have been targeted or prevented from passing since the announcement of a maritime siege on Saudi ships, describing the action as retaliation by the Yemeni military.
According to Saednews, In a statement released on Wednesday, Brigadier General Yahya Saree said that eight Saudi-linked oil vessels had been targeted—five in the Red Sea and three in the Gulf of Aden and Arabian Sea. He also claimed that 48 other vessels were blocked and forced to turn back, including 34 in the Arabian Sea and Indian Ocean and 14 in the Red Sea, according to Al-Masirah TV’s English-language website.
The Yemeni Armed Forces said they had conducted nine operations targeting Yanbu, Najran, Jizan, Abha, and oil facilities in Saudi Arabia’s Eastern Province. They also reported 14 operations against Saudi military positions in Ruweik, Al-Abr, Al-Wadiah, Marib, and Mokha.
According to the statement, the attacks resulted in hundreds of Saudi personnel being killed or wounded, as well as the destruction of weapons depots and military equipment. It further claimed that military landing ships and more than 10 military boats operating in the Red Sea were sunk or set ablaze.
The Yemeni Armed Forces warned Saudi Arabia against further escalation, stating that any escalation would be met with a broader response. They also called for the lifting of the blockade, an end to military operations, the payment of salaries, the withdrawal of foreign forces, and the return of Yemen’s natural resources to its people.
The statement additionally called on Yemenis serving alongside Saudi forces to leave the camps and return home, saying that they are Yemenis whom the Yemeni forces do not wish to target.
The reported figures come amid growing tensions between Yemen and Saudi Arabia following Sana’a’s July 20 decision to impose a maritime ban on Saudi-linked shipping. The Yemeni Armed Forces have described the measure as part of a broader “blockade-for-blockade” policy in response to what they characterize as Saudi economic and military pressure on Yemen.
The latest developments have increased concerns over the security of Saudi maritime and energy interests across the Red Sea, Arabian Sea, and Gulf of Aden.